Lemons are excellent cleansers for our bodies, they eliminate toxins, purify us, and are undoubtedly one of the best allies in health.
We all have probably lemons on hands in the kitchen, But did you know that this citrus fruit is good for your skin and hair, too?
Annie Chiu, MD, a board-certified dermatologist and the founder of The Derm Institute in Redondo Beach, California says, “It is crucial to note that lemon and lime juice can cause irritation and stinging, and should never be used on open sores or skin”.
That’s why it is mandatory to dilute the lemon with some water to avoid irritation. Furthermore, you should avoid any treatment using lemon juice, if you have sensitive, dry, or cracked skin.
Here are 6 home remedies for your hair and skin:
1- Egg White and Oatmeal Mask for Dark Spots
- Mix together the juice from half a lemon (diluted with water), a half tablespoon almond oil, 2 tablespoons oatmeal, and an egg white.
- Leave the mixture on for 15 minutes, then rinse.
This face mask helps lighten mild hyper pigmentation.
2- Sugar Scrub for Flaky Skin
- Mix the juice from one lemon (diluted with water) with approximately a cup of sugar for a refreshing scrub (it will leave your face and body feeling softer).
Exfoliators are known to smooth rough patches of skin.
3- Lemon Rinse for Dandruff
- Dilute one teaspoon of lemon juice with one cup water.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp.
- Rinse off after two minutes. (If you leave it longer or in direct sunlight, it may cause your hair to lighten in color).
Lemon juice can be effective at getting rid of flakes caused by product buildup, dry skin, or dandruff thanks to its acidity.
4- Cucumber and Olive Oil Soak for Tired Feet
- Blend one peeled lemon, two whole cucumbers, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil until pureed.
- Transfer to a bowl, and microwave until warm.
- Divide the mixture in half and put it into two separate Ziploc bags.
- Slide your feet into each bag, rubbing the mask until each foot is fully soaked.
- Leave it on for five to 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
5- Lemon with Olive Oil For Wrinkles
This process is efficient for wrinkles around your eye brow and eye bone.
- Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Apply the solution around the eyes and forehead.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat daily.
- Note: Make sure the liquid doesn’t drip into your eyes.
- Alternatively, you can use almond oil instead of olive oil.
6- Lemon with Honey to boost Collagen Production
The humectant present in honey preserves moisture in the cells and boosts collagen production.
- Combine 1 tablespoon honey and 1/2 teaspoon honey.
- Apply the mixture on face and neck.
- After 10 minutes, rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat 3 times a week.